View Single Post
Old 01-05-2012, 09:46 AM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Crosscut Squirrel?

Quote:
Originally Posted by pab1 View Post
Thanks peregrines. I love slumpbusters and tie them the same way. A "new" beadhead pattern I'm tying would work better with crosscut though. I saw some micro cut squirrel that may work a little better than the standard squirrel I have now. If that doesn't work I'll have to try cutting my own.
If you can't find it online, the best way I have found to cut hides is with a rotary cutter (like the quilters use for cutting fabric).
I did find this reference on the Fly Tying World site, this was tied by Bill Charles:

Click the image to open in full size.
Hook: TMC 5263 or 5262 #10-12.
Thread: Olive 6/0.
Tail: Olive grizzly mini-marabou (aka: chickabou).
Body: Crosscut olive dyed Pine Squirrel.
Head: Gold bead.

Note: I love the look and action that cross-cut fur wrapping gives to Pike/Bass flies but the hair length of the commonly used rabbit fur makes it unsuitable for smaller flies. I found that Pine squirrel fur is just the right length for size 8 to 12 streamers. It is not available, as far as I know, in crosscut strips so you have to make your own.
This is by far my most productive streamer pattern and has saved many a day.

Last edited by mcnerney; 01-05-2012 at 10:47 AM.