View Single Post
Old 12-03-2008, 10:00 PM

GeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via AIM to GeorgeMcFly Send a message via Yahoo to GeorgeMcFly
Default Re: beginner got a good set up?

ok so you got a flyrod that you don't know the wt of and a medalist reel that the guy thinks is a 6wt reel and a 4wt fly line? ok I am not sure how this is gonna work out. you want to have the same wt rod/reel/line for it to work right. I think you can get away using a 4wt line on a 6wt reel. that shouldn't be the problem even tho its not recomended. what you need to do is string up the rod go outside and cast it around a lil and see how the rod loads and casts. see if you can get some nice loop casts out of it.can you get any distance on your cast? if so then this should get you by for now but I would suggest getting a newer setup asap. get one that comes with a fly rod and a reel and some line. try a cabelas 3 forks combo with prestige plus reel or ross reel. I got the cabelas and prestige and they work great. get it in a 5 or 6 wt.http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/te...=cat20457&rid= they are 80 bux plus shipping. another rod you can get that I have myself and love is TFO professional 5 or 6 wt with a orvis rocky mountain reel and it also comes with fly line and a lifetime warranty. I think this costs $185 or so with free shipping. you can get this deal on Fly Shop Closeouts check um out they both are great rod/reel combos for a great price.

owner of the GL Fishing Forum.