View Single Post
Old 02-03-2006, 01:03 PM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future
Default Re: Age old question : catch/release or catch/keep ?

If Steve's response hadn't landed first, my response would sound a lot like his, with some minor exceptions. I'll keep fish occasionally, but only if i am going to eat them within 24 hrs. If i'm not gonna treat myself to the delicacy of FRESH fish, I'll let the grocery store deal with the dirty work. That being said, its been over a year since I kept a fish.

I also agree that there are enough limited stringer toters out there to make up for my releasing of fish. However if somebody asked me to come out to their pond and thin out the bass or sunfish population, I would remember mother's advice about it being rude to turn down a gift. I might even put a small sunfish on a big hook and see just what size catfish there were in that pond.

All in all, I generally prefer to catch and release, but will not turn down good opportunities to eat a wild animal from a healthy population every now and then, because they taste mighty good.

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.