View Single Post
Old 01-09-2012, 10:36 AM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels
Default Re: Does Anyone Own an Orvis Odyssey IV Reel?

I am going to take some photos later today and they will end the mystery. It seems that the reels use the same rulon gear / disc with the cork backing. The disc are compressed against the back plate of the reel cage by compression. The compression is created by the spool being drawn tighter toward the back side of the frame as you increase the tension using the knob. You already know how that works.

The difference, which I thought was great at first glance is the bearing or 'lug' setup on the back of the spools. My Odyssey III is considerably different than the #IV and it was that difference in appearance that prompted me to say (incorrectly) that the reels had drag configurations that were completely different from one another. They are in fact similar but with a subtle difference in their look as you dismantle the reel.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;