View Single Post
Old 01-11-2012, 01:16 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels
Default The Calm Before the Storm;

I would imagine that the huge snowfalls at Cordova and Valdez are being referenced on the news and weather channels all over the country. Here just a few miles north west of Wasilla there have been years when there was no snow covering the ground all winter. This has not been one of those years. We have had several periods of unseasonably warm weather that greatly reduced the loft of the ground cover snow so all I can do is guess as to our total snow right here on our own place. I'm going to guess that we have had a total of almost 56" of snow. There is at this time about 26" on the ground out back and the bad news is that there is a big one predicted beginning tonight.

Deep snow is not something new to me and I don't freak out every time a storm is approaching but............. Our cabin is out in the Interior and gets plenty of snow every year. I don't believe I've ever been there when there was less than 4' on the ground and some areas I have no idea of the depth. But here at home I'm running out of places to push / plow snow, out there at the cabin you don't worry about that. Once the winter trail is packed in and all the snowshoe trails are made you just go on about the daily life of being out there.

The weather service says we might get another 18" here. Now that is going to be something to deal with! I'll be out moving as much as I can from our drive, which is like a little road, to provide more space on the berms right after I post this. Whatever is going on.......we are getting the snow in a big way almost everywhere in the state this winter. Those people down in Cordova are literally buried by the last storm and have more on the way.

No matter where you are remember, the weather could always be worse

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;