Thread: What reel?
View Single Post
Old 02-05-2006, 11:04 AM
Administrator

Fish Bones has a spectacular aura aboutFish Bones has a spectacular aura aboutFish Bones has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via AIM to Fish Bones
Default Re: What reel?

I would sat they're at least a dozen reels that would work fine for you. First of all, it has a lot to do with what weight rod you'll be using. There is a huge difference between a good reel for a 4wt rod and a 9wt rod.

The best reels on the market would include, but certainly not limited to, Galvan, Able, Lamson, Hardy, etc... but a heafty price tag comes with these top-of-the-line reels. We're talking several hundred dollars. The Hardy Angel TE is a sweet reel... but my goodness... for $750 I can buy 5 or 6 other good reels.

You can get some excellent reels at more of a midrange to lowrange price from the likes of Cortland, Scientific Angler, Loon Outdoors, etc... You can get a Cortland Endurance for $90.

Then there are some economy reels that will do in a pinch from Stone Creek, Okuma, etc... You can get a Stone Creek Voyager for $42.

It changes almost every other day... but the best value that I've recently seen in a fly reel has been the Cortland Endurance Large Arbor Fly Reels at $89.95. You can view those at http://thefullcreel.com/product_info...roducts_id=390