View Single Post
Old 01-14-2012, 09:28 AM

fire instructor is a splendid one to beholdfire instructor is a splendid one to beholdfire instructor is a splendid one to beholdfire instructor is a splendid one to beholdfire instructor is a splendid one to beholdfire instructor is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Opinions for a 5yr old

Most 5 y/o's that I've seen fishing haven't advanced past a $14.95 Zebco 4' baitcaster, with a closed-face plastic reel. I'm greatly impressed that he wants to learn to fly fish. My older boy was willing to wait all day for the "big one", but my younger one (they are only 20 months apart) was an "action NOW" kind of fisherman. Usually had to fish in bass/panfish waters with them, so that the older one could work for bass, but the younger one could get a bite on every cast. Between that and rowing, I rarely got to wet a line!!! Funny thing is, those are some of my best fishing memories, and I never cast a line! I did get warned once by a DEC officer for not having my fishing license wih me (in my bathing suit, rowing for them) - and I didn't even have a rod in the boat!!

My younger one (he's 26 now) stopped over the other evening, while I was tying, watched for a while, and he says that he may give fly fishing a try sometime this season with me. That would be fun, as he and I haven't fished together for likely 10 or 12 years!

"A leader with great passion and few skills always outperforms a leader with great skills and little passion." Chief Rick Lasky