Thread: Tampa Tarpon
View Single Post
Old 01-17-2012, 08:18 AM

wjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant future
Default Re: Tampa Tarpon

Bite tippet for big tarpon ranges from 60 lb to 100 lb. Most guys all use fluoro for this now. I use 60 lb fluoro and have not had an abrasion issue with it, but have not fought any tarpon since it came out for longer than an hour or so. For tarpon to around 60 lbs, 40 lb should be fine but it sound like you will be there when the big ones are in. Longer is better than shorter (IGFA 12" is too short).

For snook 30# fluoro should be good though some guys use 40# along the Altantic beaches, and you don't need a bite tippet for redfish. 20 lb fluoro tippet is fine. Don't slide your fingers into the gill plate on snook, it is razor sharp. There aren't any bonefish in Tampa, and I think most of the permit fishing there is offshore wreck fishing with live crabs deep. I haven't heard of anyone fishing the flats for them there.

Your plan of hiring a guide is the best one. You will learn all you need to know from him. Just ask him well before you go out so you can be rigged up ready to go when you meet him at the dock.