Thread: Trout to Bass
View Single Post
Old 01-17-2012, 03:26 PM

bigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud of
Default Re: Trout to Bass

Eunan, you can certainly catch bass on most any weight fly rod. It depends on the waters you're fishing. I've used a 3 or 4 wt for Smallmouths in some very small streams, so even they are not out of the question. In these streams a 12" fish is a big one.

I've also done a good amount of bass fishing with a 6 wt. and have even landed a 30" Striped Bass with it, hooked while fishing for SM or LM bass in the Susquehanna. That size rod limits the size flies, & how far you can efficiently cast them as you increase the fly size. That Striper was hooked on a fly tied on a 2/0 hook, not something that casts well with a 6 wt, but it can be accomplished with a short cast. The majority of the bass I've caught on a 6 wt, have been under 3 lbs.

The 8 wt is a good all around rod for bass, but in some places & particularly where the average size bass may be small, it will be overkill. I have an 8 wt, and use it for bass often enough.

I also use my 9 & sometimes 10 wt for tidal river bass. More so because there's a lot of heavy cover, so dragging even a 2 lb bass out of the weeds needs a heavy rod, and because there's the possibility of hooking Striped bass as well. Plus, the heavier rod allows me to cast some really big flies.

Since you have both an 8 wt & a 5 wt, that would be a good place to start, and you should be able to choose one over the other for whatever water you decide to chase bass in & either will certainly work.

Remember, no one likes to be behind the big truck, but that's better than being under it!