View Single Post
Old 01-18-2012, 05:31 PM

tbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Go to winter fly?

UV glue for the head. I ran out of 'hard as hull' cement, but that makes a better hard coat over the UV stuff. Eyes are just simple stick on type under the glue (1/8" size).

I've tied all sorts of streamers in the last few months, but the bellyache is making them all a bit obsolete. Kind of hard to tie on a bugger after watching it get denied, then watching the bellyache get devoured a minute later.
I guess it is similar in style to some of the saltwater baitfish patterns, except for the rabbit strip back. Also, the Gamakatsu hooks are short, sharp, and light. I've been using #2 and #4 sizes. It keeps the little fish from ruining your quarry; they just pick at the tail fibers and miss the hook. The smallest fish that I have hooked on one is about 10". Smaller than that and they just beat it up a bit or leave it alone. This is good around Boulder, because all the good holes have like a dozen little pecker fish, and one or two decent fish that you actually want. I'm catching fewer, but much larger fish.
I will be tying up some black/blue versions for next spring.
A touch of UV callibaetis dubbing makes for a great blueish purple look in the body that is visible at dusk. The original calls for pearl ice dub, but I've played around a bit with tan, olive, and UV fibers. I've used sand, tan, and natural color rabbit strip. Black will be next...
With the heavy tungsten belly and hook riding up, you can troll it along the bottom even letting it pause occasionally. Holding it deep and steady in light current has nabbed most of my fish lately.

Sorry for rambling, can you tell I like to talk about fly fishing?