View Single Post
Old 01-21-2012, 12:19 AM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels
Default Re: Question for you trout oficianados

Hi,

Good question and I'll tell you what I know based on my own observations.

Regardless of where they are kept a trout will ripen and attempt to reproduce. This would include the hen fish as well. The curiosity here is timing, the ripening of reproductive organs is associated with changes in the Nocturnal / diurnal time spans. Brown trout are generally fall spawner's. Considering your latitude and the fact that they have artificial lighting messing with the glandular control of hormonal secretions relative to spawning behavior, they are in all likelihood entering into spawning mode at this time.

I have witnessed rainbow trout fully mature sexually that spawn in late October. This is a species that predominantly reproduces in April - May depending on the latitude. So.................Yes, when it comes to species and sub specie strains of trout, all bets are off as to when any given group may enter into the reproductive stage and they will do so in captivity if not suffering adverse stress.

Hope that helps paint a picture a little,

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;