View Single Post
Old 01-21-2012, 08:25 AM

bigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud of
Default Re: casting weighted flies

Quote:
well in that case, try landing your fly on top of one of the lily pads and go from there. i often fish frog patterns for large mouth this way
I agree with casey, but do you have some type of weed guard on the Clouser?

Landing any weighted fly quietly is difficult. But casting well past your intended target, if possible, and in the travel path of the fish or retrieving to the targeted spot is usually the best approach.

However, as innes has said, the splash is not usually a problem with bass, and particularly around pads. They get used to commotion, from prey or other animals, and are often attracted to it, because it stirs up or dislodges possible prey.

In that situation, a Clouser would not be my first choice in flies. I would go with either a surface fly, or a light weight weedless pattern, that will slowly sink or suspend. A Seaducer or a Deceiver could be a good choice IMO. A 6" or 8" rabbit strip type fly could also be a good choice either without added weight, or if you need it weighted some. In that case I would go with a a fly that has the weight on the shank, or a conehead pattern, because it will come thru those pads a bit easier than a fly with barbell or bead chain eyes.

Cast it onto those pads, allow it to sit awhile, then slither it down into that hole & see what happens!

Remember, no one likes to be behind the big truck, but that's better than being under it!