View Single Post
Old 01-21-2012, 02:37 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels
Default Re: casting weighted flies

Hi,

Sorry to hear about the crash, Randy's advice will help with keeping the tip out of the line of fire, there are many casts that will be real helpful at keeping the trailing fly and its weight away from your rod tip. Unfortunately I am not willing to start trying to describe all the variations in words. I would suggest swinging by your public library to see if they have a copy of "Fly Fishing' by Tom McNally. He published lots of books but the title I suggest is, I believe, his best work. His 'Basic Casting & Advanced Casting' chapters are loaded with good illustrations and instruction. This book is what took me from being some guy with a fly rod; to a fly caster who was not relying on luck to provide good results.

It won't cost you anything but some time and you can check availability from your computer I would guess. There are hundreds of books, videos, and classes out there. I got his book hot off the press in spring of 1979 and by fall I was a fly caster. Take the time to learn every cast described and master them; if you do this, seldom will be the time that you witness someone who is a better caster than you.

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;