View Single Post
Old 01-22-2012, 12:48 AM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Fish identification question

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcl View Post
I'm sure this will be fun with no pictures, but here goes:

I was fishing in central VA on the South River and started catching a type of fish completely new to me. They were about 5 inches long and silver, and kind of looked like a fat minnow or goldfish even. They had red tips to their fins and tails, and three dark vertical markings on their sides.

I talked to a friend in Georgia who's also caught these fish (but doesn't know what they are), so I assume there's at least some spread to their range.

Any ideas?
Can you take a photo? It would make things a whole lot easier. You have a shiner there named the Crescent Shiner, but the 3 bars is not quite right. There are some aqaurium fish that fit that description. I don't remember the exact name of the fish, but they look a lot like a Tin Fil Barb but have the vertical bars you describe. A Clown Loach has the right number of bars but is more yellowish than silver. If you can get me a photo I can ID it for you. Till then it's just a guess.