View Single Post
Old 01-22-2012, 02:46 PM

trout trekker is a splendid one to beholdtrout trekker is a splendid one to beholdtrout trekker is a splendid one to beholdtrout trekker is a splendid one to beholdtrout trekker is a splendid one to beholdtrout trekker is a splendid one to beholdtrout trekker is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Allen Fly Fishing co's anti-reverse reel

I realize that it is a prototype, so things could change considerably. Here are my thoughts on first sight, having never seen or handled it in the real world.

Overall I like the look or style of the reel.

That one looks light it may weigh a good deal less than some other A/R’s.

Is that a Quick Release spool tab I see? That would be unique amongst the A/R’s I’m familiar with and a pretty good reason by itself for no gut shots.

I'd be interested to know the sizes ( capacities and diameters ) they’re thinking of producing them in.

They’re not going with a palming rim - yet? That’s a feature I’d appreciate if I was looking for my next A/R reel.

When I use my A/R for any length of time I tend to get a lazy cranking hand and I do brake from the crank side of the spool with my finger tips, rather than rotating my wrist under the reel to apply presure to the line between the pillars. The porting wouldn't allow me to have as much contact with the spools side plate as I'm use to with my A/R's solid faced spool. That's probably why you see a palming rim on the more modern Abel, Penn, Pate, Henshel A/R's that also feature a ported spool.

In the sizes nine weight and up, I wouldn’t mind seeing a paddle or gorilla grip on it. After all it’s an A/R, It’s not like the grip is going to attack the user on a screaming run.

Thanks for letting us get a preview of the Allen A/R.
TT

Last edited by trout trekker; 01-23-2012 at 10:15 AM.