View Single Post
Old 01-24-2012, 10:12 PM

FlyFlinger2421 will become famous soon enoughFlyFlinger2421 will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Vermont BANS Felt Soled Wadding Boots

Here is an Email I received today from the Vermont Fish and Wildlife Agency:

"I am not aware of any requirements that have been put in place for decontamination of felt soled waders and boots and other equipment used by State and Federal water based workers in Vermont.

As you noted, the Vermont law banning felt soled boots includes the provision: “except that a state or federal employee or emergency personnel, including fire, law enforcement, and EMT personnel, may use external felt-soled boots or external felt-soled waders in the discharge of official duties.”

Our Department, on its own initiative, has established spread prevention and decontamination protocols for our own staff when they are engaged in different water-based activities; an example is attached which pre-dates the felt legislation. In the past year we have also bought non-felt waders for almost all water-based fieldwork except use inside our fish hatcheries."

We have also provided outreach information in press releases and on our website: Vermont Fish & Wildlife

I hope this answers your question.

Regards,

Eric

Here is Vermont's recommendation for decontamination of equipment used for water-based recreation in Vermont:

Do I Still Need to Clean Rubber-Soled Boots and Waders?
Although the risk of transferring unwanted organisms is reduced when using non-felt alternatives, precautions should still be taken after fishing and especially when moving between waters. If you’re done fishing, hunting, or trapping for the day, you can let your boots and other equipment dry at home before your next trip. Drying in the sun is the best option, and the longer the better.

If the time between trips isn’t sufficient to ensure your gear is completely dried, some simple cleaning and disinfection steps can be taken:

Check your boots and remove all mud and vegetation, as these could carry aquatic invasive species.
Add a cup of dishwashing detergent or several capfuls of household bleach to a gallon of water and soak and scrub your boots with a stiff bristled brush for about a minute.

Please do you part to help stop the spread of didymo and other aquatic invasive species by properly disinfecting your boots and other fishing equipment before moving to another waterbody, watershed or upstream site.

Eric Palmer

Director of Fisheries

VT Fish & Wildlife

1229 Portland Street - Suite 201

St. Johnsbury, VT 05819

(802) 751-0107

eric.palmer@state.vt.us