View Single Post
Old 01-27-2012, 01:26 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels
Default Re: What is a Purist when we speak fly fishing?

Hi Mike,

I believe I was attempting to demonstrate something intrinsic to fly fishing. A circle if you would, one that has a starting point and will eventually return to that point. I could have served a reader better by using the term aficionado as a sub form of the purist ideology. When a person picks up a fly rod and says "this is how I am going to fish now" they are making a sort of declaration. Those people, regardless of what they fish for or what methods they employ have entered into what we could consider a certain level of purism. Where they then go with their desire is a personal choice made.

I wrote the original post because I saw the term pop up a few times recently. I believe that I am one of those evolving types who is completing the circle, given I live long enough to make it. I say that, because in my experience so far this isn't something that happens overnight. Perhaps I was trying to dispel the definition that may infer; a purist is a snob or something to that effect. Of course there are snobs who fly fish but to try to identify those people would perhaps be subjecting them to an unfair scrutiny coming from persons outside their sphere of existence or social circle. Over the years I have been involved in several things that exposed me to, how shall I say this; people much different than I, that will have to do for now. I had raised some bird dogs, then I went and bought an Elhew Pointer. With this protégé I moved from the rank of the common guy with a dog to the game of Field Trial's. This required that I should have a horse, within the Equestrian community I found another group of people who were living life at another level in comparison to myself. Then there was that brief romance between Falconry and I............... You could be led to believe that you had encountered a snob or 2 inn this group that would make a standard by which other snobs may be judged There I go again, straying from the whole point here!

As I said earlier, when you pick up that fly rod you are making a statement of sorts. Within this group of anglers it is true that some tilt toward a more traditional approach to the sport. Then you've got the blue collar type who have experienced about every aspect of fly fishing that was within their reach before making a choice.

How bout that, did that make any sense?

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;