View Single Post
Old 01-27-2012, 06:47 PM

ghocevar has much to be proud ofghocevar has much to be proud ofghocevar has much to be proud ofghocevar has much to be proud ofghocevar has much to be proud ofghocevar has much to be proud ofghocevar has much to be proud ofghocevar has much to be proud ofghocevar has much to be proud of
Default Re: How Did You Start

A week after watching a River Runs Through It (back when I was 16) I ran down to my local Orvis Shop and bout an outfit...Still have it although the rod is now hanging on my 20 month old son's wall. Many people will say that it was the rebirth or rejuvenation of fly fishing, but for me it was the beginning of a life-long passion.
You can only do so much reading before your head wants to explode with all the knowledge you're soaking up (I have been there), but the best thing to do is get out on the river and get after it. Take a guide out every once in a while because their knowledge is invaluable. Find a fishing partner and learn from him as well. Keep talking to those shop owners and folks on the river you come across - all of them will be willing to share information except on where their favorite spots are!
Hang in there, it doesn't happen over night...I have been doing it for 17 years and still feel like a novice when I hit the river.