View Single Post
Old 01-27-2012, 08:13 PM

ghocevar has much to be proud ofghocevar has much to be proud ofghocevar has much to be proud ofghocevar has much to be proud ofghocevar has much to be proud ofghocevar has much to be proud ofghocevar has much to be proud ofghocevar has much to be proud ofghocevar has much to be proud of
Default Re: MAD river in ohio?????

Here's some fun information for everyone...The eastern brook trout (char) is the only salmonid native to Ohio. Any trout you see is a stocker or holdover, with very few of them being wild.
I know the area you are referring to Jason...couple of small streams near Bass Lake. I spoke with the gentleman, Terry Harmon, from University School about his push to get the Brook trout reintroduced in that area. He also had them reintroduced into Sulfur Springs in the South Chagrin Reservation back in the very early 2000's, but new management came in and killed the fish and the program off saying that they were not native to that area (complete BS if you ask me and Terry for that matter.) The Metroparks still have the signs up for brook trout in the creek, but sadly they are no longer there.
Without going into too much further detail, there are a couple other small creeks in NE Ohio that have existing Brook trout populations. One of them is actually a section of the South Fork of the Rocky River. I am not talking anything significant - I think like a few hundred within a mile span. I have a friend who did research on them and provided me with that information.
If anyone wants any other useless trout information, let me know!