View Single Post
Old 01-29-2012, 10:46 AM

monello will become famous soon enough
Default Re: The Alaskan Story Threads;

Back in 2009 I was a volunteer with the State Park folks. I was at Lowell Point. I would head up the highway and hike back to Meridian lake to fish. I fished there with waders then a float tube. I even towed a boat up there 1 day. It took a very long time to get there. And if I could I'd do it again.

Click the image to open in full size.

Late June on Meridian lake

Meridian lake

---------- Post added at 10:09 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:52 AM ----------

More Meridain lake pictures.

There is a parking lot about 15 miles from the town of Seward. A sign in book is maintained at the trailhead.

The trail is well maintained. A lot of work went into making the trail easy to traverse. The less gear you haul up, the faster the walk becomes.

The lake is stocked every other year with fingerling trout. I imagine most of them are eaten by the other fish and the pair of loons that frequent the lake. There are some real nice fish back there. Very vibrant colors. But you don't always catch big ones.

I've caught fish both spin casting and fly fishing. By spinning I can locate fish faster but I prefer to fool them with a fly. Even if I didn't catch any fish the scenery and time in the woods is well worth my time. Catching fish is a bonus.

---------- Post added at 11:46 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:09 AM ----------

A few more pictures from the Chugach Mountain/Meridian lake trail.

It's not the easiest hike back but it isn't scrambling around a lot of blowdowns either. Pick your foot up and put it down. Repeat a few thousand times and you are there at the lake edge. I never ran into any bears back there but I'm not the quietest hiker either. I ALWAYS carried a canister of bear spray and kept it handy on my belt.

My 10 ft Porta-bote