View Single Post
Old 01-29-2012, 01:53 PM

silver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Hook difference in PT?

I think they work in straight and curve hooks equally well. The most important factor is that there is an adequate hooking gap. When you see a certain "shape" for a nymph, it is a shape that is not permanent. Aquatic insects change their shape when they are free in the water.

For example, scud are tied on "scud" hooks; but scuds are straight and not curved when they are swimming. So why do we tie them on curved hooks?

"When a scud swims, its body is held quite straight."

Nymphing - Gary A. Borger - Google Books

"First of all, swimming scuds, the kind fish are likely to see, are as straight as a needle and only curl up into the typical scud fly profile when they are crawling around on something."

California School of Flyfishing, Nevada City and Truckee, CA > Entomology > Scuds

I quote myself from an identical discussion,

"Often times, the accepted position of a fly is contrary to the biology of the real thing. An example is the lowly scud. Although they are commonly tied on curved hooks, scuds bodies are often in a straight position when swimming. And when are they most available to the fish? When they are swimming! Yet most fish caught on scud patterns are on a curved hook, because that is how commercial tiers tie them, because that is what the fishing public believes."

The best "shape" for a PT is the Tiemco 200R and not a scud style hook like the 2487. But in small sized 200R the hook gape is very small and it has poor hooking capabilities.

Personally, I like to tie PT's in 2XL, 1XH hooks but in smaller sizes I will tie them in larger gap hooks.

Silver

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy

Last edited by Hardyreels; 01-29-2012 at 07:22 PM. Reason: Removed forum link per rules here