View Single Post
Old 12-18-2008, 01:00 PM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future
Default Re: American Made Rods & Reels

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rip Tide View Post
There was an article in a recent Field & Stream about value priced fly rods. (I was at my dentist yesterday )
The author (John Merwin ?) stated that because of the cost of shipping it was becoming less cost effective to have rods imported from Asia.
St Croix recently built a factory in Mexico for the production of their lower end rods for this reason.
You can ID them from the label that says "Made in North America"
I think this trend will continue, but at a much slower pace now that fuel costs have dropped WAY back down. $4 gas was actually expected to somewhat help the SA TX economy due to its proximity to Mexican Mfg, but that forecast has since decreased a good bit.

I can tell you I'd MUCH rather have a Korean built rod than a Mexican one though. If St. Croix does some deal where they can build them 95% in Mexico and still figure out a way to label them "MADE in USA", they'll be getting none of my nickels.

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.