View Single Post
Old 01-31-2012, 09:54 AM

wjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant future
Default Re: 2 interesting casting videos by Lasse Karlsson

Dan,

Yeah, I noticed the slack, especially in the beginning, and remembered the video he did on release timing with the light.

If you remember, when he released the line right at the first "Rod straight Position" the line marker he was holding in his hand immediately began shooting toward the guides. When he released just miliseconds later, during counterflex, the line marker just stayed there for what seemed like a very long time before shooting toward the guides. The more the counterflex, the longer the line just sits there.

In this video, the stripping guides are in two widely different places (one very close to his hand, and one way up the rod) with rod leg tension beginning at two different times due to the massive counterflex of the glass rod and wider initial loop.

But the loop shapes in the first video were round for both rods. In the hauled video, they were "rising" loop shapes (shaped like a carpenter's chisel viewed from the side with the ground edge on the bottom).

Both the floppy rod and the high modulous rod threw the identical loop shape- with and without the haul. And in the second video ,with the haul, the floppy rod loop was continuing to morph into a narrower "rising" loop as it went out of the frame. I would speculate that by the time both loops were close to turnover, they would be very nearly identical in size and shape.

My point is that double hauling seems to affect loop shape more even than the rod - even when the same casting stroke is used with both rods. At least that variable would be hard to debate in that video.

Edit

Since posting this, I have posed the following questions to Lasse:

Thanks for another great video, Lasse.

So would you attribute the change in loop shape between the two videos from round to a "rising" loop shape to the haul?

Or would you attribute it primarily to line speed ?

Or to a combination of an increase in line speed greater than the increase in counterflex ?

Or to something else entirely?

Or am I totally off base here altogether?

I will let you know what he has to say.

Last edited by wjc; 01-31-2012 at 10:19 AM.