View Single Post
Old 02-04-2012, 07:39 PM

trout trekker is a splendid one to beholdtrout trekker is a splendid one to beholdtrout trekker is a splendid one to beholdtrout trekker is a splendid one to beholdtrout trekker is a splendid one to beholdtrout trekker is a splendid one to beholdtrout trekker is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: World record distance WF 5wt?

Just some numbers matched with equipment to mull over.

ACA Official National Records-
Anglers Fly Distance & Fly Distance Singlehand
( This is with shooting heads and a running line - not a full weight forward fly line. The tolerances for a WF-5-F line are 134 - 146 Grains. Keep that in mind as you read the shooting head weights listed below. They’re not using anything close to a five weight rod or line. )

Records: American Casting Association

Rules: http://www.americancastingassoc.org/...view=FitH,1078

Angler's Fly Distance:
Current Record: Men , 190 feet Rene Gillibert, Steve Rajeff

i) Rod - The complete rod shall not exceed nine feet, one inch (9'1") in length and shall be
singlehanded.
ii) Reel - Unrestricted, except reel must be attached to the rod and must be capable of holding the
entire line.
iii) Line
a) Shooting head shall be no longer than thirty-one (31) feet nor shorter then twenty-eight (28)
feet and shall weigh not more then three hundred ten (310) grains.
b) Running line - Unrestricted except that the diameter shall not be less than 0.015 inches.
iv) Leader - Shall consist of a single leader of natural or artificial gut or gut substitute not more than
twelve (12) feet nor shorter than nine (9) feet in length.
v) Fly
a) Description - Official distance fly adopted by the Association. The hackle shall not be smaller
than five-eighths (5/8) inch in diameter.
b) Application - Only one fly may be attached to the leader at the tip end. The fly may be
changed at any time, or a lost fly replaced, with a fly approved by the Judge.

Fly Distance, Singlehanded -
Current Record: Men: 243 feet - Steve Rajeff

i) Rod - The complete rod shall not exceed nine feet and nine inches (9'9") in length.
ii) Reel - Unrestricted, except reel must be attached to the rod and must be capable of holding the
entire line.
iii) Line
a) For Men, Senior Men, and Intermediate boys, the shooting head shall not be less than fortynine
feet three inches (49'3") in length and shall not weigh more than six hundred fifty (650)grains.
b) For Women, Senior Women, and Intermediate girls, the shooting head shall not be less than
forty-four feet four inches (44'4") in length and shall not weigh more than five hundred twenty
four (524) grains.
c) Running line - Unrestricted.
iv) Leader - Shall consist of a single leader of natural or artificial gut or gut substitute and not longer
than twelve (12) feet nor shorter than six (6) feet in length.
v) Fly
a) Description - Official distance fly adopted by the Association. The hackle shall not be smaller
than five-eighths (5/8) inch in diameter.
b) Application - Only one fly may be attached to the leader at the tip end. The fly may be
changed at any time, or a lost fly replaced, with a fly approved by the Judge.

There is also a newer game: 5 wt. Combination Accuracy and Distance
Special Event (ACA 5wt Event Rules )

I have no idea what distances they are obtaining. However, I’ve been to enough I.S.E. 5 weight distance casting events ( Best of the West Competition ) with men like Steve Rajeff competing and in an outdoor environment, ( San Mateo, CA ) I don’t think I’ve ever seen them exceed the high 120‘s to low 130‘s during the actual event.
That was with a stock five weight ( like the Sage TCR and an off the shelf five weight line. ) indoors with warm air, low humidity, zero wind, etc, they’d probably poke it out there a bit further.

Not saying it can’t be done, but I’d have to see this horse before I’d buy it.
TT

Last edited by trout trekker; 02-04-2012 at 08:25 PM.