View Single Post
Old 02-04-2012, 08:38 PM

trout trekker is a name known to alltrout trekker is a name known to alltrout trekker is a name known to alltrout trekker is a name known to alltrout trekker is a name known to alltrout trekker is a name known to all
Default Re: World record distance WF 5wt?

Dan,
If that was intended towards my post, then you didn't read this part of my post,

( This is with shooting heads and a running line - not a full weight forward fly
line. The tolerances for a WF-5-F line are 134 - 146 Grains. Keep that in mind as you read the shooting head weights listed below. They’re not using anything close to a five weight rod or line. )

Re: "What seems to be being missed here is that those really long distances are with rediculously heavy shooting heads and thin mono running lines."
Re:"I don't consider it fly casting when you do those overweighted heads and tiny little mono running lines."

More importantly Dan, what weight head would you use on a nine weight rod? That 310 grain head is on the light side of an 11 weight head. Going up two lines sizes with heads is pretty common. We routinely use 30' feet of LC-13 for heads out here on our nine weights, that head weighs over 390 grains. ( because LC-13 usually weighs 13.2 -13.4 grains per foot ). I've been using 20 and 30 pound Amnesia for running line which are pretty darned thin, for better than forty years.
No I'm not insulted one bit Dan, thanks for validating my fishing choices and those of thousands of others.

TT

But as I said, I'd have to see the horse before I'd buy it.

Last edited by trout trekker; 02-04-2012 at 09:00 PM.