View Single Post
Old 02-05-2012, 03:26 AM

theboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Survival Rate of Stocked Trout?

I believe the statistics that a large portion of stocked fish don't survive the winter. Last week I stopped by a local lake that had been stocked in December for ice fishing. All around the lake under a thin layer of ice were hundreds of those stickers looking oxygen deprived.
I also believe that many of the streams that Pa stocks as well as the lakes become to warm in the summer to support these fish.
As far as reproducing there are definitely streams in Pa where conditions are right for spawning as seen in the many streams by me that have good populations of wild Brown trout.
Near to where I live there is a bunch of lakes and ponds in a row on one stretch of state rd. Originally these lakes were used back in the day to supply ice for the big cities like Philadelphia and New York . As the need for ice ceased these lakes and the property around them were bought up by resorts and housing developers . In turn to satisfy the new home owners and resort goers these lakes were stocked regularly with trout whether they were sustainable or not.
But a good thing happened from all these stocked lakes. Every one of these lakes are connected by the streams originally dammed off to create them. And many of these stocked fish got into these streams and that's why today many of these streams hold good populations of wild Brown and Rainbow trout as well as the native Brook Trout.
"Your not old,you've simply acquired a patina." Swirlchaser