View Single Post
Old 02-05-2012, 01:23 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels
Default Record Moose Kill's in South Central AK.

Some of you may have read my entry on the blog page here titled 'A Survivor'. Friday's Anchorage Daily News had a little column in it that mentioned that on or about February first there had been 15 moose hit by automobiles in a 19 hour period of time between Anchorage & Willow Alaska. I know that we lost 5 of our local big Ol' Bullwinkle buds in a 4 day period just a week ago.

Call me a weenie but I feel real bad for the poor giant critters. Usually getting hit by a car is much different than being taken in hunting season. Two years ago I posted pictures on a thread I called 'Alaskan Weed Whacker', this young bull was trimming my lawn before I had a chance to finish the job myself.

Click the image to open in full size.

Click the image to open in full size.

The next morning I left home at 10:00 AM. for Deshka Landing, I was to go launch the boat for the 80 mile trip to our cabin that day. When I left the road we live on and turned left onto Knik Goose Bay Road I drove only a couple hundred yards before I came to a big black Dodge pickup (very nice rig) with the driver standing in front examining his vehicle for damages and talking on his cell phone.

Let me set the stage here: this area has the land on both sides of the road clear cut about 60 yards both ways. Besides the clear cut shoulders you have the width of the 2 lanes of asphalt and the gravel berms. The day was brilliant with crystal blue sky and vivid sunshine making it rare for Alaska. It was early June, I looked to the left side of the road and there in the grass lay my little bull. It was warm and beautiful so my drivers window was down and because of the stopped vehicle and the man on the road I had slowed down for safety sake. I looked at the little moose (about 6.5 foot tall at the shoulder and maybe 7 foot long or so, dark fur) and he was banged up bad. The worst part of this was that he had his head cocked up and was letting go with the most mournful bellow I had ever heard from an animal. It was dam near enough to bring a tear to your eyes. I've never forgot that sound or the guy looking at his grill.

So what's my problem? Broad daylight; middle of the road, brilliant sun from above not in your eyes, a clearing of at least 120 yards on level ground with cut grass, a big dark animal almost 6 feet tall X 8 or so foot long! I have always wondered 'How in the name of God did that guy drive into that moose?

Yes, I have had moose try to commit suicide by 'Running' toward my truck and our car both. Neither Nancy or I ever hit one, we somehow see those little buggers coming, even in the dark. It's just a sad thing, that's all I'm saying. If you want to see the bull that showed up here last week you can take the alaska blog link from my signature below and find 'A Survivor' I'm hoping he makes it

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;

Last edited by Hardyreels; 02-05-2012 at 01:48 PM.