View Single Post
Old 02-05-2012, 10:25 PM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: World record distance WF 5wt?

Quote:
Originally Posted by trout trekker View Post
Dan,
Then I misunderstood your comments and I apologize.
The single hand rod, distance casting records and equipment specifications I posted, were to demonstrate how the these types of distances are achieved in competition.
, TT
No problem.
Those types of casting contests where a heavy shooting head is used is one kind, and they do get really long distances. Then there are the kind where they use actual fly lines and the distances are not nearly as far. If you look at the site Sandfly got his post from, it says "Its detractors claim that it requires tremendous strength, stamina, and specialized equipment and has only a vague connection to fishing." And vague is an understatement in my opinion. The contests that use actual fly lines are much more like fly fishing. I don't think I have ever heard of anyone putting a 5 wt. line out past around 135ish. There are darn few casters that can do that. There are so few of them you know the names of a lot of them. Fredrik Hedman, Paul Arden, Mike Heritage who posts to this forum now once in a while, Steve Rajeff and a few others. My point is there are no casters doing 160+ with a WF5 line, let alone 180'. If there were, we would know his name by now.

By the way, I was not casting aspersions on those who use a shooting head to fish. I have one setup that way myself. They are not the same as what they are using in those so called casting contests.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck s View Post
What the young man didn't tell youw as that you need the old round kind of fly line spool and then you discard the square box, glue the edges of the spool shut and flingit with a good side arm throw. With a great back wind and several skips you should be able to reach 180 ft--no rod needed!
And that right there is the only reasonable way to hit 180' with a WF5 line I have heard yet. Good one.