Thread: New To Alaksa
View Single Post
Old 02-09-2012, 02:54 AM

nerka will become famous soon enoughnerka will become famous soon enough
Default Re: New To Alaksa

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenkin3 View Post
Yeah the rain gear is number one on my list! I just got my assignment I will be working at the wally Noerenberg Hatchery which is located in lake bay which is on the southern end of esther island. I leave to head to cordova on Feb. 25 so it is approaching fast! how is the flying in snowy conditions?
Welcome, and you will probably have an awesome time. I think your rod choice is sound for the most part. If you want to chase grayling, a 3wt makes for an awesome time. It is worth noting that the hatchery you are talking about near Paxson is about a 4 or more hour drive from Valdez and you dont need to go that far. There are grayling to be caught in the Glenallen area.

I dont necessarily consider PWS that remote, it has a road connection and ferry service. It is out of the way, but remote here is generally considered fly in only as far as I am concerned.

As for flying in snow conditions, if it is too bad, the pilot wont go. If the pilot will go, jump on board. If you want to know about snow conditions in Cordova check out some of the pictures from thier snow storm a few weeks ago. I think they have had close to 20 feet this winter.

While I am not a PWS expert, I have spent a bit of time there and it is amazingly beautiful. The fishing is better than average and the weather worse than average, when it comes to PWS, if you think you have enough goretex, buy 2 more of each. Seriously, do not skimp on rain gear.

I have never seen or caught one, but apparently there are some streams in the Valdez area that have cuttthroats.

A large caliber revolver is also handy to have around.