View Single Post
Old 02-09-2012, 05:18 PM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Butt wraps on a fly rod

I've done butt wraps on a few fly rods. It does not make the slightest bit of difference in the balance or action as far as I can tell. It's not a very traditional fly rod look but if that's what you want I'd say go for it. That's what makes a custom rod custom. Just don't use lead core line to do the butt wrap and you'll be fine. You may also want to consider doing a feather inlay. It's a more traditional looking fly rod bit of art. They are also easier to do, and a heck of a lot faster. I'm going to be doing one on my spey rod I'm building and will post a step by step as I do it.

I should mention that the traditional method of doing a feather inlay does not work very well with feathers that have 'eyes'. It tends to take the round eyes and make them horribly oblong. I have a second method for those that does not distort the eye. I am going to include Grey Peacock Pheasant feathers that have a really beautiful eye on the ends, in my feather inlay so you can see both methods.

Last edited by Guest1; 02-09-2012 at 09:27 PM. Reason: A tiny spelling fix