View Single Post
Old 02-09-2012, 04:48 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels
Default It's Tying Time Again;

It's a tough time between Thanksgiving and now. Days are short and snowy but now we are on the down hill run toward warmer weather. The days get longer by 5 minutes every 24 hours as we march into the spring breakup and tonight the fly tying begins. As I make the salmon flies for this season I'll stick some here. Many are already represented on the Flies For Alaska threads but there may be some new creations this year and I'll post as they occur. I had some real good trout on blue Spey style flies last fall and I know there are plenty more blue hackles here so...........

This is the type fly that saved some days last fall and I'll make a bunch of variations of it in blue & pruple.

Click the image to open in full size.

Many people associate the AK. patterns with the leeches and big weighted bunny fur offerings. I manage to entice the fish with the more traditional patterns and I can say that they are a lot easier to cast and result in fewer lost flies because of snagging the bottom. It won't be too long now whether you are in the lower 48 or here until the spring in upon us and the fishing will go full tilt. Some of you have had unusually mild winters and I know you have never quit fishing. That was familiar to me years ago but here you quit when it gets cold but make up for the down time in a big way when the ice goes out

I believe I'll start with some Santiam Spectrum ties and then go to the king salmon patterns. By making the Spectrum's first everything else seems easy. Soon I'll be able to try out a new rod and reel that are waiting just as I am for spring. There isn't much else to post about, I've not been inclined to be taking pictures, and there isn't any fishing, in another couple weeks I'll take a trip to the cabin for a while and that always seems to produce some pictures and stories so I'll look forward to that.

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;