Thread: Echo Reels?
View Single Post
Old 02-17-2006, 02:31 PM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future
Default Re: Echo Reels?

With any composite reel or spool, there are two main things to avoid: wrapping the line and backing too tight, and leaving the reel in extreme heat. (and especially the combination of the two)

Because the composite/plastic materials can gradually change shape over time when under pressure, avoid wrapping the backing and line extremely tightly onto the reel. The spool being continually squeezed over a long period of time may change its shape.

Also avoid leaving the reel in a hot vehicle. All plastic based composites will become softer when exposed to extreme heat. The inside of a car on a 102 degree day can easily reach over 130 degrees, and this is just asking for trouble with a composite reel.

Both of these two factors may be of such little concern to not be cause to avoid buying this reel, but combining the two is just asking for trouble. Tightly wrapped backing can squeeze a spool very tightly, and heating that plastic spool up makes problems even more likely.

Composite reels are much more popular in northern Europe than they are here, and I think this has a lot to do with the fact that its rare for a reel left in a vehicle to be exposed to such conditions. I agree with Steve, now that the Cortland endurance reel is out, I would sooner trust that reel to survive and thrive where I live.

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.