View Single Post
Old 12-26-2008, 10:48 PM

Fly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: How to store line/backing/leader when not in use?

Quote:
Originally Posted by smog7 View Post
I was recently given a 6wt 9ft cabelas three forks fly fishing setup. I set up my line with all of the necessary knots, but now I am wondering if it is ok to leave the backing, line, and leader on the reel. It seems like an awful lot of work to have to remove the line after every fishing trip, so i'm guessing that this is the way to do it?
Hi, Smog7,

Yes, it's fine to leave the backing, line and leader on the reel. Some fly-fishermen remove the line at the end of the season when they clean and treat it, then re-wind it off the spool in large loops to avoid "line memory", but in my experience, good quality modern lines really don't need that, as mild stretching of the line when you first use it again in the spring will generally get rid of most of the "line memory effect". When you store your line off-season, whether on or off reel, it's best to keep it out of strong sunlight and extremes in temperature.

Hope that helps . . .