View Single Post
Old 02-15-2012, 10:51 PM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: walleye fly fishing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oaktree View Post
Hey DD

In the state of Kansas walleye fishing during the spawning season is permitted.
I'd double check that one. Plus as I said, it's probably not the best time to target them. If you tried looking on the Internet about fly fishing for Walleye, most of the information on there is not only wrong but absolutely stupidly wrong. Normally I would have inserted a cuss word in there but this is a family forum. I kind of doubt that along the dam thing to. Unless you mean the shallow rocky areas off to the sides of it.Walleye prefer shallow gravel to spawn in. If you know where those are, then you can target them when they stage up for the prespawn. I would suggest that over the spawn. As I said, spawning fish tend to focus on the spawn rather than eating, so it's not the easiest time to fish for them plus I don't advocate basically molesting fish while they are busy insuring you have good fishing in the future. At the very least I'd suggest you not clobber any females.

The flies on the left are Clousers with the exception of the top one. Most of the time that's the best fly for Walleye. A lot of people will tell you that suspended Walleye don't bite, but that's nonsense. Every last Walleye I got last Fall was suspended. Thats what the rest of the flies are for. Walleyes that are on the top or suspended. And yes, you can also get Walleye on top. I'm not sure why you are so set on the spawn thing, but if it's because of the bad info on the internet, trust me it isn't the best time. If you let me know what lakes it is you plan to try this on, I'll look at them and see if I can't figure out a plan of attack for them that will give you good shot at getting them.