View Single Post
Old 02-16-2012, 11:58 AM

trout trekker is a splendid one to beholdtrout trekker is a splendid one to beholdtrout trekker is a splendid one to beholdtrout trekker is a splendid one to beholdtrout trekker is a splendid one to beholdtrout trekker is a splendid one to beholdtrout trekker is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: World record distance WF 5wt?

I guess in the end it's just boils down to games that have rules and competitors that have chosen to follow those rules. If one wants to compare their achievements in distance casting with those of the best distance casters in the world or just want to know where they stand. The best thing for them to do, is join the ACA if they haven‘t yet, get geared up and head to a competition. That‘s where the rubber meets the road, everything else is just talk.
Practicing in the park with whatever gear they wish, with no restrictions or rules, on whatever day they wish and in the weather conditions that they‘ve chosen to proceed in, isn’t the same as stepping up to the line with the best casters in a competition, in front of a live audience.

If we all just make up our own rules, knock the long standing competitive casting games because of some thinly veiled self serving definition of what is, and what is not worthy of acknowledgment or achievement, then we stand to loose our creditability amongst our peers.

If one chooses to use whatever equipment they like and dare compare themselves or their achievements to those who’ve stepped up and met the challenge, then it skews the results and they’ll never know where they stand. I also believe that the best way to effect change is from within, by joining the ACA, and becoming a voice for change, they could campaign for the competition categories that they think would advance the sport.
But simply knocking a couple of categories in the casting games or those who chose to openly pit themselves against the challenge, because it doesn’t fit ones self serving goals and standards, isn’t a sign of good sportsmanship nor stewardship.
Those rules and games don't have to reflect life like fishing conditions. The home run competition at the all-star break doesn't have much to do with actual game day conditions. Driving a bucket of balls at the range on a staurday morning doesn’t mean ones ready for the P.G.A. I don't choose to use a distance taper on my five weights when I'm fishing.

With all due respect, TT

Last edited by trout trekker; 02-17-2012 at 03:37 AM.