View Single Post
Old 02-17-2012, 10:34 AM

monello will become famous soon enough
Default Re: What Keeps You From Going to Alaska to Fish?

Alaska is much more reasonable than most people believe.

I went on a DIY trip in 2005. Late June, early July 2 weeks in an RV rented out of Anchorage and headed to the Kenai peninsula. I learned a lot on that trip. Caught some fish but should have caught more. Did plenty of sight seeing also.

Then I went back in 2006 for 2 weeks selecting August/September time frame. We caught so many pinks and a few silvers. After that I was hooked.

I went back in 2008 for the summer. Took 4 weeks to drive up from Maryland. I fished many different bodies of water. Many days I had the water to myself. Spent a lot of time on the river also. Best day in the boat was 102 legally hooked pink salmon. Had a few silvers in there also.

In 2009 & 2010 I volunteered with the state parks. Spent a summer in Seward and the other summer in Kethikan. Hiked and fished all over the place. Caught a lot of different species of fish using lots of different techniques. I had a few friends come up and stay with me. They took advantage of the situation with me being there.

If your credit card has air miles you can fly up very reasonably. We spent $50 for tickets one year using miles. Once you are in AK, if you go the RV route you can really save some money by cooking your own meals. Some nights you can camp dry lakeside or in a pull out for free.

2 people in a motorhome for 2 weeks can be done for under $2,000 total.