View Single Post
Old 02-18-2012, 02:37 AM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: World record distance WF 5wt?

OK there seems to be some confusion as to why a competition with shooting heads and one with a real WF5 line should not be talked about as if they had zero differences, and in fact need not even mention how it was that a distance was achieved. This notion is ludicrous on it's face. The two have almost nothing in common. It is in my opinion disrespectful of the guys who have the talent, and spent the enormous time and investment in becoming good at casting far with real rods and lines. The guys like Fredrick Hedman, Paul Arden, our member from the UK Mike Heritage and even my friend from Canada deserve to be given credt for their achievments without having distances tossed in that have ZERO relationship to what they do or was asked about in this thread. If those distances like the "Don't even get their attention if it's not over 160 feet" type comments are going to be tossed in to something like this, and I don't think they should, point out how they were done and that it has no relationship to WF lines and the question that started this thread. To not point that out is insulting to the real casters and deceptive to those who read the thread. Seriously, I hit 140' a lot of times this last year. I even have a witness. If I stopped right there and never said another word I would be lying by ommision. I did it with a 15' spey rod. Do you think it would be fair of me to compare Paul Arden's 140' cast on a WF5 line with a 9' single hand rod to my 140' with a 15' spey rod? How would me doing that be any different than tossing in the shooting head distances and failing to mention they are shooting heads? Especially when the question was not about shooting heads or spey rods. And by the way the spey rod wasn't a 5 wt either. It was a 10/11. Not exactly a fair comparison is it? Good grief! Look at the title of the thread for Pete's sake.

As a side note, I can't find a single reference to Jim Chaprelis having ever competed with a 5 wt, let alone placing. I think if he had been and was good at it I would have heard his name before this. That might explain the lack of an answer to my question.

Last edited by Guest1; 02-18-2012 at 03:52 AM. Reason: Redundant word