View Single Post
Old 12-28-2008, 09:35 AM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What's the Best Fly Rod under $60 New? - your input wanted

IMHO, Cheap rods are cheap rods ....period.
In nearly every case, to get a decent rod at that price range you'll need to look at close-outs, used, or homerolled.
If you can expand your price range to $100 or better retail, then you're at a whole new level where you'll find some much better choices
I highly recommend looking around for a deal before you pay retail for a rod that will be less than spectacular

Nearly everyone of my modern factory rods were close-outs.... half price or better, including some (former) top-of-the-line rods in the $100-$150 range
It pays to look around.
Building you're own rod is a good option too and is not difficult. If I can do it, anyone can
Used is always a good choice. I bought a well used, high end rod a couple of years ago for $30. It needed some work, but I was glad to do it, because I now have a very fine fishing tool that I otherwise could not afford.

One very cheap rod that I like is the Eagle Claw Featherweight
This short fiberglass rod is a very good choice for small stream fishing
They come in a 6'6" 5wt and a 7' 6wt and retail for about $18