View Single Post
Old 12-28-2008, 09:44 AM

mikeo will become famous soon enough
Default Re: New Year Hopes and Dreams

I just was listening to one of those year-end shows they do at this time of year -- recapping all the turmoil, war, and bleak economic situations from the year nearly past -- and I realized that I'm thankful for all the simple things that life can bring us -- for me (despite a year of highs and lows -- sometimes too many lows to really want to think about), those simple pleasures have usually been with a fly rod in hand -- just being out on the water taking in the amazing natural surroundings -- the sounds of rushing water or bird songs or just the wind in the trees -- the chance to see wildlife -- the rise of a trout to my fly -- the rhythm of casting a fly rod -- taking the time to turn over a few rocks in the stream trying to match the hatch -- taking the time to tie flies to replicate that hatch -- the companionship shared with fishing buddies -- the peace and contentment, the calming effect of all that fly fishing offers -- and that others in the world take up this fine sport (even if it does mean some places I fish tend to get a bit more crowded)
"Fly fishing is solitary, contemplative, misanthropic, scientific in some hands, poetic in others, and laced with aesthetic considerations. It's not even clear if catching fish is actually the point." -John Gierach