View Single Post
Old 02-19-2012, 07:50 AM

wabi is just really nicewabi is just really nicewabi is just really nicewabi is just really nicewabi is just really nice
Default Re: Hardy/Greys GRXi+ 6'6" 5wt

A quick update to my report:

Yesterday I had a chance to actually use the rod on a pond I specifically had in mind when I purchased it.
The pond is small in surface area (about 1/4 acre) but holds some very big bluegill and nice bass along with a few crappie & channel cats. The dam area is a great place to fish from, but is overhung with walnut tree branches and casting is almost impossible with a long rod.

The new 6'6" rod worked fine! Didn't hit any overhanging branches with the tip of the rod.
The filter is about 30' out from the bank and a great spot to catch fish. I had no trouble getting a roll cast (overhead cast is impossible from the dam) to (and past) the filter with the short rod. (unfortunately the water was cold and the fish weren't biting)
I used the rod in several locations where I've had problems with a longer rod in the past and it passed the test of fitting that situation well.
35-40 feet is about the maximum cast I could get from the short rod, but in this pond that is more than enough distance to get to the best fish holding locations.
Roll cast or overhead cast is easy within that distance limit and accuracy with the roll cast was very good.

This is a very specialized rod it seems, but it does the job I had in mind well.