View Single Post
Old 02-22-2012, 12:18 AM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: walleye fly fishing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockriver View Post
I might have accidently clicked unlike on this Dan. If so, please accept my apologies in advance. I learned on lot on this subject and will be trying it out this year since we also have walleye. Everyone I know insist you can only get them by jigging with spinning gear.
No problem. No apology needed.

I hear stuff like that spinning/jigging thing all the time. Better yet, even our chamber of commerce says you can't get them at night here, and yet we do it. Are you going to be fishing for them in a river or lake? If it's a lake there are some very effective ways to get them in a lake as well. You need a boat for some of it though. For example, in late Summer, you can get Walleye in shallow bays next to weed edges feeding on leeches. A leech pattern works great. The thing with targeting Walleye in a lake rather in a river, is you get more fish but you don't get the size. I you have ever drifted spinner rigs with bait, you understand the basic boat strategy but switch the bait rig for a clouser or leech pattern with a long leader or a sink tip line. Most of the time when this effective it's early in the season and the Walleye are shallow. These is a lot to catching Walleye all of the time and everywhere, but if you fished them before with bait you already know a lot of what you need to. Just adapt it to fly fishing.