View Single Post
Old 02-23-2012, 03:23 AM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Reels to balance a rod?

Quote:
Originally Posted by wjc View Post
I would agree with that statement to a point. Cheers,
Jim
Same here. Except the Cheers Jim part. As far as single hand rods go, it's hard to screw up bad enough you could actually tell you did. Maybe something like a PENN 4GAR on a 7' 6" 4wt. might do it, but who would do that Mom doesn't make wear a helmet and ride the short bus?

Now here's the "to a point" part. If you have a double hand rod, you need to get it to balance so that it is balanced where your top hand is at the top of the top grip and the line out and swinging. This actually matters unlike most of this single hand noinsense. Finding a reel in todays "It's so light a good breeze will blow it away" and "ported to the point it makes a wiffle ball look solid" world we now live in, is harder than finding Bigfoot and costs more money than the last Bigfoot TV show I saw. Tibor makes a spey reel that's 12.5 ounces and will only set you back $850.oo. To top it off, 6 years from now they may not have parts for it. I'm very dissapointed with Tibor. I told them so on the phone just for good measure. Even more annoying, that still may not be heavy enough. There is a market driven pile of nonsense causing reel manufacturers to rush headlong into making the lightest reels they can. For what? It doesn't make any real sense with a singlehand rod, and they are sure not helping the spey guys out. Companies that make Spey Reels that are heavy enough still costs you the best part of a grand and may give you the Tibor middle finger salute. Can you say E Bay?