View Single Post
Old 02-23-2012, 11:20 AM

bigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant future
Default Re: Reels to balance a rod?

I'll also agree, but only to an extent. I'm not putting my reel in my pocket. I'll also agree with it being more important to have some degree of balance, the heavier the rod. For example, on my 10 wt, I have a reel that's intended for a 11/12 wt rod. I also have the same reel listed as a 9/10 wt reel. The slightly larger reel is slightly heavier, but on that rod is more comfortable for me to cast all day, as it balances with that rod better. Sure, I can use either reel, and the lighter reel reduces the overall weight, but it still doesn't feel any better to me for casting. I think that's important too.

This balance & weight thing can be taken to extremes one way or the other, and individually we all have a comfort zone. For me, as long as I'm comfortable with the combination I'm using, I don't really care about actual weight or perfect balance.

Remember, no one likes to be behind the big truck, but that's better than being under it!