View Single Post
Old 02-27-2006, 05:26 PM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future
Default Re: Which Reel Do You Take?

The exception to what Steve said about mountain streams comes into play when its a rumbling canyon stream with fast turbulent water. If you expect to be fishing these conditions often, then I recommend doing so with nothing lighter than a 4wt. You'll need that heavier line to kick over your fly(s) and split shot, and then the power of a stout rod to steer the fish out of that heavy water. If hoppers are a major trout food up there, you'll find that 5 and 6 weight rods do best at turning those patterns over.

I also seem to recall that there are many lakes up there with good trout fishing. A 6wt rod will often allow you to cast farther than lighter rods would, and will also work better with the full sinking lines that are commonly used in stillwater fishing.

Not saying Steve's wrong, just pointing out some other considerations I thought might come into play in your area.

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.