View Single Post
Old 02-28-2012, 11:55 PM

silver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Reels to balance a rod?

Jim.

You have ignored aerodynamic drag which also increases with V squared.

Because of the square effect of drag, you need the square effect of energy to counteract it. The linear effect of momentum won't do it when the opposing force increase by the square of velocity.

That is why a car engine only uses 5O HP to go at 50 MPH but takes 300+ HP to go 150 MPH. If it were linear as in your example it would only take 150 HP to go 150 mph.

The seemingly "disproportionate increase" in KE is needed because of the "identical disproportionate increase" in drag effect of the line, leader and fly that increases with the square of velocity. For the same reason, it is much more difficult to cast against the wind because an opposing wind is additive to drag by the square effect.

Why do two bullets of identical momentum and aerodynamic drag travel different distances as in my previous example if distance varied by momentum alone? That I don't understand, if distance varies with momentum, and I've not gotten a reply on that point. No one has shown me that my contention is either wrong, or explained how identical momentums cause different distances.

It seems to me that this is proof that is is not momentum which determines distance, and yet this is conveniently ignored and never addressed.

Silver

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy