View Single Post
Old 03-01-2012, 09:06 AM

wjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant future
Default Re: Reels to balance a rod?

Quote:
I believe that the faster bullet will go farther because it can travel farther before gravity causes both bullets to hit the ground.
Then why are bullets made of lead and not aluminum? Why do Wifflle balls with no holes in them go 40 feet instead of 400 like real baseballs or those hollow plastic golf balls go 20 yards instead of 400 like real ones?

Instead of speculating, here are actual ballistics on two bullets from here; a fast light one and a heavy slow one.

Rifle Ballistics Summary

Remington .223-------------------------------------- Winchester Mag .338

Muzzle velocity-------3,550 ft/sec-------------------------2,780 ft/sec

Velocity @ 200 yds---2,430 ft/sec-------------------------2,374 ft/sec

% of initial velocity------68%------------------------------85%
remaining @200 yds

Muzzle energy-------1,259 ft/lbs-----------------------------3.860 fl/lbs

energy @ 200 yds-----590 ft/lbs-----------------------------2,815 ft/lbs

% energy remaining
at 200 yds-------------47%--------------------------------------73%

Estimated max range* 3 miles-----------------------------------5 miles

* TPWD: Firearms - Distances Bullets Travel

Gravity is constant; the coefficient of drag is constant though the bigger bullet is subject to a greater total drag force due to larger surface area. Yet the slower, heavier bullet is traveling nearly as fast as the faster one after traveling only 1.2% of the faster bullet's maximum range (or 0.7% of the slower bullet's mximum range).

If compared to a fly cast that would equal about 10 to 15 inches on a 100 foot cast.

But why muddy the issue of fly casting with bullets - unless someone tries to move you out of "The Pocket" on Nine Mile Bank when you were there first.

Quote:
With a little more haul speed we'd be hitting that 180' mark with a 5 wt.
Quote:
Jim.
You have ignored aerodynamic drag which also increases with V squared.
I never forget aerodynamic drag living with it daily down here. (Note the grins.)

I think what you may be ignoring is that kinetic energy also DECREASES as the square of its lost velocity. (See the percentage losses in the comparison of actual ballistics in the bullet analogy).

And, equally important, that drag is dependent on surface area (no squared multiplier) whereas mass depends on volume which is dependant on a squared multiplier (radius squared). Therefore, drag influences the lighter of two lines of the same density far more than the heavier one with an increased mass/surface area ratio.

That is why surf fly guys use 10 wts and not 5 weighs when fishing for 5 lb blues and stripers even when using steamlined flies.

As for the original question, I am working on a remote operated reel to be worn on one's wader belt so it will not add weight to the rod and will enable longer days of blind casting without too much exertion. I'm thinking that the best way is with a waterproof remote that can be held in the mouth like a cigar and clamped on to retrieve. But other alternatives are welcomed.

Last edited by wjc; 03-01-2012 at 09:43 AM.