View Single Post
Old 03-02-2012, 12:02 AM

caseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to caseywise
Default Re: Right handed or left? Why?

Quote:
Originally Posted by flytie09 View Post
However, there are still some old-fashioned fly fishers (like me) who are right-handed yet reel with our right hand. Why? 40 years ago, when I began fly fishing, it was pretty much tradition that when you hooked a fish, you switched the rod to your other, less dominant hand and reeled with your right hand. I’ve heard that this dates back to salmon fishing, in the days when a salmon rod might weigh 10 ounces. After casting a big rod like this all day long, when you did hook a fish you wanted to both give your dominant hand a break and be able to use the hand which gives you most dexterity to crank the reel.
same here, i guess it was how i was taught.

ARFE