Thread: Rod weights?
View Single Post
Old 03-02-2012, 05:01 AM

moucheur2003 has much to be proud ofmoucheur2003 has much to be proud ofmoucheur2003 has much to be proud ofmoucheur2003 has much to be proud ofmoucheur2003 has much to be proud ofmoucheur2003 has much to be proud ofmoucheur2003 has much to be proud ofmoucheur2003 has much to be proud of
Default Re: Rod weights?

It really depends on where I'm going to fish.

For little brook trout creeks, I will usually use a 7' 4 wt bamboo or a 7'9" TFO Finesse.

There are a couple of medium-sized rivers in Connecticut where a medium-to-medium-fast 8 1/2' or 9' 5 weight is just the ticket.

There are a couple of big brawny rivers in northern Vermont and NH, with tricky currents and deep holes, where I never know whether I'll be fishing #18s on the surface, or deep streamers with a lead head, or weighted nymphs with indicators on long casts, or soft hackles on a down-and-across swing. That's when I really need my pretty fast 9' 6 weight that can do a little of everything. I know people out West who like a fast 4 weight for the same sorts of situations, but I think that's like trying to swim with one hand tied behind your back.

Fishing for bass in lakes with big deer hair bugs or weighted streamers on a sink tip usually finds me with a medium-action 9' 8 weight.

I've taken a few trips to Quebec and Labrador for Atlantic salmon, where the best rod seems to be a medium-fast 9' to 10' 8 or 9 weight, or 8 overloaded with a 9 line. On my last trip I also took a 15' TFO 8/9 spey rod, and caught a few fish with it that I wouldn't have been able to reach with a 9 footer, but that's a pretty infrequent situation.

Fishing the New England coast for striped bass and bluefish seems best with a fast 9' or 10' 9 weight, to help with the long casts, wind and bulky flies.

If I had to narrow it down to only one that could cover the widest variety of situations adequately it would probably be an 8 1/2' to 9' 5 or 6 weight for trout, panfish, and light-duty bass fishing. (Which is just about exactly the conventional advice for beginners that you can find almost anywhere.)