View Single Post
Old 03-04-2012, 10:36 AM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Vermont BANS Felt Soled Wadding Boots

Early on there was a great post with several links (all good reads), but this was the one eye-opener ... as in why do felt boot bottoms have to me made of 'felt?'

''When researchers looked at this question it became obvious that felt presented disinfection problems that other materials did not. The main reason for this is the nature of the felt material. Felt is constructed as a dense mat of randomly woven fibers. It has large interstitial spaces that can be a perfect trap for any small material. Gates, in the study referenced above, did extensive work to determine the relative ability of various wader materials to trap WD spores. In her experiments, felt trapped 100% of the WD spores that it was exposed to while rubber trapped none. This is dramatic evidence that felt soles present a much greater risk of transport than rubber soles."

My question is why do felt bottoms have to be made of 'felt?' I look at the 'felt' bottoms of my Korker Chromes and the material is anything but 'felt.' Not sure what it is, appears to be a 'man made material' of some sort like woven 'plastic' threads. Stuff is harder than heck, takes screw in studs easily, etc., etc. AND really grips the bottom (mine are self inserted studs placed around the outside edge/heel).

Have run an 'non-scientific' experiment the last two trips back from the Rogue. Just let the boots 'drain naturally' for an hour and then set them on paper toweling. End game was there was damned little for the paper to absorb.

Thought here only, if banned should not be on 'felt bottoms' per se, but on 'what' the 'felt' is made of .... ? Bottom line (or so it appears) is the Korker stuff will hold water, BUT will not absorb water.

Thoughts?

fae