View Single Post
Old 03-04-2012, 02:37 PM

moucheur2003 is a jewel in the roughmoucheur2003 is a jewel in the roughmoucheur2003 is a jewel in the roughmoucheur2003 is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Orvis Hydros reel

Quote:
Originally Posted by notenuftoys View Post
I'm getting a new 9wt rod for bass and saltwater (probably a BVK), and I need a reel to go with it. My friend has the Orvis Mirage for his 10wt, and it will stop a freight train! But I can't spend quite that much, so I'm looking at the Hydros.

Anyone have any experience with this reel? How's the drag? Is it light enough to match well with a BVK rod?
According to the Orvis website, the Hydros LA V reel for 9-10 weights weighs 8 oz. The LA IV for 7-8 weights weighs 6.9 oz.

According to the TFO website, the largest BVK SLA III reel weighs 5.2 oz, but it appears to have less backing capacity than the Hydros LA IV. A TFO rep told me that they brought out the BVK reels because other reels were too heavy to match the BVK rods, but the website doesn't show a BVK reel that can hold a #9 line with lots of 30# backing. IF you're willing to use 20# backing and less of it, that might be the way to go.

However, the Orvis Mirage reels are only slightly lighter than the Hydros, and they were built to balance the ultra-light Helios rods, so I'm guessing you'd be ok with the Hydros.

The Lamson Guru might also be worth a look. Similar price and capacity to the Hydros, but lighter.

Of course, the best test is just to put the reel on the rod and cast it for a while.